Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr Released

timothy posted about 8 months ago | from the what-in-tahr-nation dept.

Ubuntu 179

An anonymous reader writes with this announcement: "Ubuntu Linux version 14.04 LTS (code named "Trusty Tahr") has been released and available for download. This updated version includes the Linux kernel v3.13.0-24.46, Python 3.4, Xen 4.4, Libreoffice 4.2.3, MySQL 5.6/MariaDB 5.5, Apache 2.4, PHP 5.5, improvements to AppArmor allow more fine-grained control over application, and more. The latest release of Ubuntu Server is heavily focused on supporting cloud and scale-out computing platforms such as OpenStack, Docker, and more. As part of the wider Ubuntu 14.04 release efforts the Ubuntu Touch team is proud to make the latest and greatest touch experience available to our enthusiast users and developers. You can install Ubuntu on Nexus 4 Phone (mako), Nexus 7 (2013) Tablet (flo), and Nexus 10 Tablet (manta) by following these instructions. On a hardware front, ARM multiplatform support has been added, enabling you to build a single ARM kernel image that can boot across multiple hardware platforms. Additionally, the ARM64 and Power architectures are now fully supported. See detailed release notes for more information. A quick upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu is possible over the network."

Code names (-1, Flamebait)

Code named "Trusty Tahr".

Why do open-source projects always have such stupid, ugly-sounding names that probably refers to totally obscure subjects?

Re:Code names (-1, Flamebait)

It's a code name you dumb cunt.

Re:Code names (5, Funny)

I think you mean Crusty Cunt, which was Ubuntu's seminal release.

Re:Code names (0)

Jody Bruchon (3404363) | about 8 months ago | (#46781189)

Someone please mod this up to +5 Funny. I lol'd.

Re:Code names (5, Funny)

Seminal release? I just hope it wasn't premature on their part, that would be a dishonorable discharge.

Re:Code names (3, Funny)

Virtucon (127420) | about 8 months ago | (#46782501)

The Dishonerable Discharge release is scheduled for 2016.

Re:Code names (0)

Why do open-source projects always have such stupid, ugly-sounding code names that probably refers to totally obscure subjects?

opposed to what? (1)

As opposed to Longhorn, Vista, Mavericks, Leopard, etc..? It's just a naming convention. It's an animal and a descriptive word. Trusty is a common word and a Tahr isn't exactly an uncommon animal. Nothing to do with open source, it's coding in general.

Re:opposed to what? (0)

This is the first time in my life I ever see the word Tahr and I'm over 40.

Re:opposed to what? (1)

Regretfully, your ignorance is not our fault.

Re:opposed to what? (0)

You're right, it isn't just open source. Those are pretty stupid names too.

Mavericks, (0)

And which idiot in the Apple marketing department came up with the name "Mavericks"? Wasn't Maverick Meerkat release four years ago?

Re:Code names (1)

I've always referred to it as Umbongo (name of an old UK soft drink) altered release name

And I use it on my main machine - its on Obese Otter I think, or is it Pervy Pigeon ?
Rampant Rabbit ?

No, I upgraded last week. Its on Smeggy Shrew.
I started on Lurid Limpet , moved to Molested Marmoset, then Neurotic Narwhal

Not worked out what this one will be - Tumescent Tamarin?

Re:Code names (2)

NatasRevol (731260) | about 8 months ago | (#46781503)

Tortured Tapir.

Re:Code names (1)

UriGagarin (1268184) | about 8 months ago | (#46781889)

nice I also thought Thrushy Terrapin

Re:Code names (1)

binarylarry (1338699) | about 8 months ago | (#46782203)

Hairy Hardon was the best release.

Re:Code names (1)

Scragglykat (1185337) | about 8 months ago | (#46782517)

Really? Not one Tremendous Tit? Maybe even two?

Re:Code names (1)

NatasRevol (731260) | about 8 months ago | (#46782531)

Not in Linux.

Re:Code names (0)

UriGagarin (1268184) | about 8 months ago | (#46781641)

WTF, I know I only post when the moon is in conjunction with Neptune and my blood sugar level is around 1000kg/ml but I posted that as me.

Maybe I should try Beta (ducks and runs)

*tries a few things*

Feck, its been so long since I posted and its set up so stupidly that ticking your username means you want to post anonymously. yeah , right .

Re:Code names (-1, Troll)

It creates a warm, homebrew, hippie feeling for the software. That's what open source is about: the little man's fight against the big corporations.

Re:Code names (4, Insightful)

SmilingBoy (686281) | about 8 months ago | (#46781507)

I don't know but it is very convenient when searching for information about the product. If it was called "Wooden Doors" you would have a lot of irrelevant search results. All results for a search for "Quantal Quetzal" will however be very relevant.

I came (-1)

Shit's real tits

Spyware status (0)

kthreadd (1558445) | about 8 months ago | (#46781117)

It used to be that the default installation contained a program was running by default, which had a good purpose but also sent everything that the user typed into it to Canonical and indirectly to Amazon. This is by all definitions spyware. I don't know if this is still included in Ubuntu, maybe someone else knows?

Re:Spyware status (5, Funny)

I heard most Linux distros have spyware embedded in them. The only way to get rid of it is to compile from source, which most people don't know how / aren't willing to do. This is one of the main reasons I stick with Windows.

Re:Spyware status (4, Insightful)

machineghost (622031) | about 8 months ago | (#46781219)

Did the person you heard that from also tell you that vacinations cause autism? Or that JFK was assasinated by Bigfoot (as part of the global lizard-people/Illuminati coalition)?

Also, why would you think Windows *doesn't* have Microsoft spyware installed?

Uhhhhh.... (0)

I think AC was kidding, friend; making the exact point you are.

Re:Spyware status (1)

I sense the aspergers is strong in this one.

Re:Spyware status (0)

I would imagine what we've got here is a case of facetiousness.

Re:Spyware status (1)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about 8 months ago | (#46781429)

Is that something you get from using Facebook?

Re:Spyware status (1)

Desler (1608317) | about 8 months ago | (#46781313)

Have you heard of jokes and/or sarcasm?

Re:Spyware status (0)

See, what's going on here is the parent you are replying to was making a joke.

Basically he/she/they is/are making an obviously silly statement, the aim of which is to in fact make the same point you have made.

In other words: whoooooosh

Re:Spyware status (2, Informative)

This would be the Amazon search lens, which was enabled by default. When you used the Search functionality in Unity desktop, it would search both local files/content and Amazon's catalog of products online.

Not exactly spyware per se, but certainly irritating - especially if you're concerned about your privacy. I don't expect the search function on my local Linux computer to run off and search Amazon for interesting products...

and no, it hasn't been disabled by default. You can turn it off via the Settings panel though.

Re:Spyware status (1)

Anrego (830717) | about 8 months ago | (#46781403)

I assume you are talking about that stupid search feature.

While I agree it is a dumb thing to have enabled by default, and certainly have no love for ubuntu in general, I'd hesitate to call it spyware.

Re:Spyware status (-1, Troll)

horza (87255) | about 8 months ago | (#46781915)

It is acts like a keylogger, so I guess it would be more accurate to call it a trojan?

Phillip.

Re:Spyware status (1)

So, rather than 'Trusty Tahr', it should be 'Total Turd'?

Re:Spyware status (1)

kthreadd (1558445) | about 8 months ago | (#46782593)

No, I like the name.

Is it a cell phone UI? (4, Funny)

Billly Gates (198444) | about 8 months ago | (#46781165)

Until all the apps are full screen only with no way to leave unless I get thrown back into a cell phone I wont be switching. I hope the apps only have 3 or 4 functions that are all hidden by default.

That would be sooo cool. I am sure if I go to a starbucks with such a gui I can get so many chicks owwing and ahhing and using my hip touch screen. Sharkwire looks so cute ... giggles.

Nothing to See Here (-1)

qw(name) (718245) | about 8 months ago | (#46781177)

It's just Ubuntu with another stupid release name....

*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1, Interesting)

machineghost (622031) | about 8 months ago | (#46781181)

The only reason I care about Ubuntu updates is that they are followed by Mint updates. I really don't see why anyone would still want to use Ubuntu when there is an equally good (if not better) Debian/Ubuntu-based distro, especially given Shuttleworth's complete and utter contempt for the open source community.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (5, Insightful)

given Shuttleworth's complete and utter contempt for the open source community.

Where are you getting that from? Shuttleworth has done nothing but help the open source community in every way imaginable.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

YourMissionForToday (556292) | about 8 months ago | (#46781331)

You really consider a distro that can't change basic network configuration without a reboot to be 'helping'? Worse yet, some insane people are even using it as a server OS.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

That's because you can't open network manager as root.

A fundamentally moronic design.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (2, Informative)

I can change the network configs with out rebooting??? Where did you get that from? (I can change ip address, dns settings, default gateway, etc no reboot needed. /etc/network/interfaces)

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (2)

YourMissionForToday (556292) | about 8 months ago | (#46782637)

Yes, it's in one monolithic file.

Try making a minor typo in the syntax, then restart networking. You will lose all network connectivity on ALL interfaces.

Fix your typo and try to start networking again. It won't work until you reboot.

Or you can try adding your config to one of the seemingly infinite network config subdirectories (ifup.d, post-ifup.d, etc). Make the same typo anywhere in the subdirectories and you'll still mess up all networking and have to reboot.

I guess this is acceptable if you haven't used any OS besides Windows 98. For the rest of us it's maddening.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (5, Informative)

Pascoea (968200) | about 8 months ago | (#46781597)

I guess this is what I get for browsing at -1... While I do agree with you on your point about rebooting to apply networking config (I'm assuming it's a true statement) I think if that's the best argument you can come up with for why Ubuntu/Shuttleworth suck you are pretty far off-base with your evaluation. I like it because it gives me access to a linux server environment that is literally child's play to install, and it gives the non-techy person a decent alternative to Windows. It is the first distro that I have seen that you don't need a deep understanding of a computer to install it. (My 12 year old was able to install it by himself) Considering where the Linux world was 10 years ago, I'd say that's a pretty damn good contribution to the open source community. Are there better distros out there? Yeah, there probably are. Has one company done as much as Canonical to push Linux to the masses? Probably not.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (5, Insightful)

machineghost (622031) | about 8 months ago | (#46781669)

Ubuntu *did* (past tense) an amazing amount for the community, and for a long time Ubutunu was justifiably the dominant distribution because they gave people what they wanted (as you more or less said, it was the first distro that was super user-friendly). I do give them props for that.

Then it all went to Shuttleworth's head, and he started thinking he could dictate to the Linux world what we would all use. That's when many Linux users started abandoning Shutttleworth/Canonincal and going to distributions that actually cared: there's a reason why (on many distribution watchlists at least) Mint has surpassed Ubuntu.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (3, Interesting)

thoth (7907) | about 8 months ago | (#46782393)

What happened to Ubuntu was they decided to "differentiate" themselves more, dreaming of monetization and profits. I'm not sure it is working out the way they thought it would.

I like Mint - the version that tracks debian (Linux Mint Debian edition). They do a ~3 month rolling upgrade from debian testing. So I get something a little more current than debian stable on Mint's nice Cinnamon UI. It's ideal except for one little thing - no LVM install by default. For that you need to jump through some hoops but it can be done. Well maybe I'll grab the latest and see if that separation has gone away.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (5, Insightful)

Yes, how dare an open source project dream of one day not being a black hole money pit.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (0)

It's totally possible to make money and respect users' rights at the same time.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (0)

Point of reference: I was twelve twenty years ago when I first installed Linux.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (0)

I was also 12 when I first installed Linux 11 years ago.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

Billly Gates (198444) | about 8 months ago | (#46781371)

Maybe not a cell phone interface

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (0)

There seems to be a strong dose of NIH syndrome within Ubuntu resulting in incompatible "alternatives" to open source solutions. Just going from memory there are Unity and Mir which are pure Canonical projects and require additional work from other projects to stay compatible/work well with.

@AC - Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

nukenerd (172703) | about 8 months ago | (#46782117)

You mean like commercialising his distro, splitting the community by taking his own direction away from Wayland, and ditto by taking his own direction with the GUI? Or did you intend irony?

Re:@AC - Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (4, Insightful)

unrtst (777550) | about 8 months ago | (#46782543)

I'm not a fan of Mir, nor a big fan of Unity, but I've been around long enough to see those sort of changes happen in every distro.

My personal favorite window manger was sawmill/sawfish, which was the default with gnome at one point in time. When it was replaced, the replacement didn't do half of the features I regularly used, so I kept using it. Then it became much more difficult to get working, so I dropped gnome and used some dumb little apps to get a desktop switcher and clock and such, and went pretty bare-bones. Then compiz got pretty stable, so I gave up and used that. wash/rinse/repeat for a ton of other things in life.

People turned against KDE for a long while too due to licensing issues. AFAICT, that has continued to hurt their image, even though all those issues have been resolved. IMO, that did push KDE/QT to change, and also pushed gnome to improve. Someone has to push the ball forward. Mir may never actually take off. If Wayland gets there first (and yes, there still is plenty to be done), Ubuntu could easily swap it into place. Similar with Unity... it does do a better job with touch than many of the other options. It, like almost everything else there is, won't last forever. It's not hurting things as long as there are other options (you can even just grab a xubuntu or kubuntu spin if you want).

Re:@AC - Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

tuck182 (43130) | about 8 months ago | (#46782681)

I still miss sawfish. So customizable, and the undo feature on window move/resize was awesome.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (3, Interesting)

Shuttleworth's complete and utter contempt for the open source community.

I'll concede that some initial releases were done way before they were polished, but half the griping isn't even about flawed features.

In light of some of the changes that have caused some huge controversies (having the window buttons on the right vs left is straight out of Gulliver's), maybe you mean "ignoring the very vocal minority who reject innovation, either from a need to feel elite or fear of change".

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

RDW (41497) | about 8 months ago | (#46781723)

Moving the window buttons to the left is 'innovation'?

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (0)

Whats it matter?

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (-1, Flamebait)

So you complain about "utter contempt for the open source community" and then drop Mint which is not only actually worse in that regard, but also rips everything from Ubuntu without giving anything back?
Not that they have much "in house" development they could give back...

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (4, Informative)

machineghost (622031) | about 8 months ago | (#46781583)

Mint listens to their constintuents, and builds their distro around their concerns. Ubuntu does whatever the heck they want and says "take it or leave it".

See Mint's choice of MATE (Gnome2) or Gnome3 vs. Ubuntu's "We're making this new Unity thing that no one wants and we'll force it on our users before its ready".

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (2, Informative)

Which is why some of us (perhaps a good number) moved to Xubuntu.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (2, Insightful)

It's fortunate that Ubuntu has XFCE, LXDE, KDE, Gnome, Unity and might get a MATE version as well.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

unixisc (2429386) | about 8 months ago | (#46781957)

Actually, KDE has been spun off. And does Ubuntu offer its distro w/ GNOME 3?

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46782097)

Does it really matter that Kubuntu is now community only? That's exactly the same situation as Mint and every other Ubuntu spinoffs. You can still have Ubuntu without the default UI even tho the splash screen isn't the same. If the splash is turning you off, there's the minimal iso.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

Ok. So where's Mint's Unity edition?

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (0)

"take it or leave it".

Huh? Ubuntu is still fucking Linux. You can take it, and then do whatever the hell you want with it. If all you're concerned about is what the distro ships with by default, then by definition all distros are "take it or leave it"!

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (0)

Shuttleworth might have different philosophy from your accusation but it is quite the stretch, unfair and counter-productive. Many people think he has done a lot of good to the open source even if it was not to the liking of some open source quarters.

Take a moment away from the keyboard if you can't hold yourself back from replying!

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (4, Interesting)

butalearner (1235200) | about 8 months ago | (#46781729)

Probably because ideology isn't really important to most people, who just want stuff that works. They don't care if they're running X or Wayland/Weston or Mir. And Shuttleworth definitely does not have contempt for the open source community in general...just the developers who don't follow his lead. Which definitely isn't cool, of course, but those developers don't represent everybody.

After my old laptop with a highly-customized Arch Linux setup died, I went back to Ubuntu (which I've used since Warty Warthog!) because I didn't feel like spending the time to mess with stuff anymore. My personal laptop is currently sitting on 12.04 LTS. I might upgrade once 14.04.1 is released in August, depending on how reviews are. It looks like they didn't choose as many cutting-edge packages, so it may not be as big of a problem as the first releases of previous LTS editions were (remember the time they shipped an LTS release with a beta version of Firefox?).

I'm using Mint 16 Cinnamon at work, so I could be convinced to switch, but my wife and kids are used to Unity by now. I have a terminal shortcut pinned near the top of the sidebar, so I get around easily enough.

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (1)

unixisc (2429386) | about 8 months ago | (#46781931)

Does Mint now follow Ubuntu releases at all? Or just stick to Debian? B'cos under the hood, it's Debian, and since Unity has been the hood ornament of Ubuntu for some time now (not counting Xubuntu/Lubuntu), which Mint doesn't use, why would Mint bother following Ubuntu at all? It may have started off as an Ubuntu derivative, but is it so any longer?

Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for the Mint Edition (3, Informative)

SeaFox (739806) | about 8 months ago | (#46782481)

Bad info is bad.
Mint has two editions. The normal release is based on Ubuntu, but there is a second more rolling-release edition based on Debian Unstable called LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition). It is available in both Mate and Cinnamon interfaces.

@machineghost - Re:*Yawn* I'll Wait for .. Mint (1)

nukenerd (172703) | about 8 months ago | (#46782067)

machineghost wrote :-

I really don't see why anyone would still want to use Ubuntu when there is [Mint] an equally good (if not better) Debian/Ubuntu-based distro

I don't see why anyone would want to use a distro based on Ubuntu [which is based on Debian] where there are equally good or better distros based on Debian directly.

Quick question (0)

Does Unity still suck?

Re:Quick question (0)

Is the pope still Catholic? Is water still wet?

Quick answer (0)

Not nearly as much as it did when it first came out THREE YEARS AGO.

Please update your griping points - they're outdated even by /. standards.

Re:Quick answer (0)

To late. Far too late. I gave up on Ubuntu after the 10/4 release was IMHO so bad that it was almost unusable.
I moved to CentOS and have found a nice stable OS. I know many former Ubuntu users who gave Unity the finger and found a home with Debian or Mint.
Ubuntu seems to be less relevant with every release.
That is a shame really because in the beginning it was good.

Re:Quick question (4, Informative)

jones_supa (887896) | about 8 months ago | (#46781497)

It does not suck that bad anymore. For anyone still having a grudge against Unity, I recommend trying it again at this point.

Re:Quick question (3, Interesting)

Nimey (114278) | about 8 months ago | (#46782643)

It's true. I hated Unity with a fiery passion around 12.04. I still dislike it (largely because of poor discoverability), but it's a great deal more bearable now.

Editors? *crickets* (0)

So, was the summary supposed to look like it was written by a retarded person or am I missing some kind of obscure joke? Grade-school kids can write a more coherent paragraph.

Re:Editors? *crickets* (2)

nukenerd (172703) | about 8 months ago | (#46782193)

So, was the summary supposed to look like it was written by a retarded person

Clearly looks like it was written by a salesman.

Single ARM kernel? (1, Insightful)

Will the stoooopid people quit working on this. It's a dumb idea.

Now instead of board-specific files and SoC-specific (CPU-specific) files, we have a multitude of device-tree files. The whole idea of single binary kernel for ARM is as absurd as having a single binary kernel for x86 and x86-64. Why would anybody want to be saddled with the chore of parsing device-tree info in the kernel on systems which are, arguably, mostly embedded systems where the hardware for a board is very well defined and add-on hardware is rare.

There is a cost associated with having a single uber-kernel that can dynamically configure itself and load modules, etc. Save that cost for larger, desktop-like systems that require it. Leave us embedded folks out of your crazy schemes.

PS. I know Linus screamed and sweared at the prolification of ARM board-specific files. Politics makes poor tech choices and now we have a prolification of device-tree files. Linus, you dumb f*ck, you didn't gain anything for anybody, you just pushed the problem away from yourself.

Re:Single ARM kernel? (1)

unixisc (2429386) | about 8 months ago | (#46781983)

Why so? It makes sense to concentrate Ubuntu on a platform where Windows doesn't exist (unless MS directly works on it). Any x64 based platform will have Windows running, but only a few custom ARM builds will. So what Ubuntu has done here makes good sense. They can stage it on the Raspberry Pi or Beagleboards & be off to the races.

mod d0wn (-1, Troll)

It's not bad (5, Informative)

willoughby (1367773) | about 8 months ago | (#46781595)

I've been using it since the beta & it runs very well. Netflix & Steam install very quick & easy & run well.

This is my longest experience with Unity & I've found it's not too bad, either. Experience with OSX helps get used to the non-menu way of selecting a program but in use it's really like a menu, anyway. (click the Ubuntu logo thingy [or super-a] -> apps -> internet -> firefox) And at least when you bring up the program selection it doesn't cover the entire desktop.

I also like that they are trying to conserve vertical space by putting the launcher on the left edge instead of the bottom and eliminating the menu bar on windows. Moving the menus sounded odd 'till I learn why and , again, experience with Macs helps get used to it.

But Unity is slow compared to other desktops, and very difficult to customize.

I may still go back to XFCE just to get the 'right-click on the desktop for a menu' back. (or I could just install Windowmaker... hmmm)

But overall Ubuntu 14.04 has been very stable & runs quite nicely.

Re:It's not bad (0)

The software I care about only runs on Windows. Windows host is way less annoying that Windows guest. The various Unix flavors are all happy as guests. Until any of that changes I'm using a Windows host environment with VMs for everything else.

Re:It's not bad (1)

willoughby (1367773) | about 8 months ago | (#46782427)

I forgot to put in there that I'm running an Nvidia GeForce GT630 & using the proprietary driver.

Seems more solid than past releases (0)

I decided to upgrade awhile ago when the first beta came out, thinking that I could be helpful by submitting some bug reports. I've done this in the past and always had several crashes per day and filed plenty of bugs. This time I think I had two crashes total, while still in beta. It was almost disappointing in a way.

Slashdot Beta update (0)

Here's the official Slashdot Beta Progress Report [slashdot.org] from a couple of days ago if you missed it.

Re:Slashdot Beta update (1)

Anrego (830717) | about 8 months ago | (#46782733)

I gave it a legit try. Still not a fan.

I'll give them that the main page is better. I still wouldn't go so far as to say I like it, but it's at least got a reasonable amount of content for the space.

The comment page is still terrible though. And really it's all about the comment page.

Not a fan of Ubuntu anymore (1)

The times I have used Linux I have made the choice to directly avoid Ubuntu at all costs. I used to think just the opposite before Unity interface and the fact Ubuntu has pretty much gone their own direction with open source. Which of course is fine, but it has not the path I chose.
When you start making changes to the OS to better mold with other platforms like mobile and tablets. You start to make compromises. The user starts to be a guinea pig. If you are just a PC user there are plenty of better desktop OS choices in Linux then Ubuntu.

Congratulations to Ubuntu and Canonical! (5, Insightful)

benmhall (9092) | about 8 months ago | (#46781807)

I'll be upgrading all of our Ubuntu 12.04 machines (and many 10.04 servers) over the coming months, and I'm looking forward to the changes.

Canonical and Ubuntu have done more for desktop Linux than any other company I can think of. I look forward to their regular releases, strong committment to patches, and easy, reliable upgrades. As a sysadmin, they've made my life much easier on both server and desktop. Predictable releases and solid relationships with Dell, IBM, and HP mean that I can buy almost server or laptop and know that it will "just work."

Thank you to the developers, backers, hackers, and community.

Re:Congratulations to Ubuntu and Canonical! (-1)

nice 12.04 , you are probably vulnerable to heartbleed. May I have your IP range?

The following comments... (1, Insightful)

The following comments will be related to at least one of these :
a) how Canonical "sucks";
b) how Mint/Debian/Windows is/are better than Ubuntu;
c) how much you hate spyware and Amazon even tho it's opt-in;
d) how much you hate Unity.

Re: (2, Funny)

You forgot:

e) how Mir / Wayland are totally and completely useless because they're not natively network transparent;
f) how Mark Shuttleworth is the fucking anti-christ

Re:The following comments... (2, Informative)

c) how much you hate spyware and Amazon even tho it's opt-in;

If it's enabled by default and I have to turn it off, that's opt-out, not opt-in.

Linux since 1995 but now I've Windows (on desktop) (-1)

mha (1305) | about 8 months ago | (#46781953)

I used RedHat, SuSE, Debian, Ubuntu. Ubuntu was my desktop for a long time, but slowly Microsoft and Ubuntu working together changed that. First Microsoft got better, and it supports the latest hardware and - so I heard - power management is better, important for my new notebook. At the same time Ubuntu changed to desktop to something I have no love and no use for.

I did kernel hacking (network code - NAT and firewall, kernel 2.2), Linux was my main system since 1995, I worked for one of the major Linux companies (on two continents) and my server stuff still is solidly Linux. However, on the desktops Windows (7 and 8) has replaced it.

Reason: Good enough and hardware.

I have a new (Derll XPS 13) "ultrabook" with a touch screen (yes it's "shiny" and I hate that, but *I want touch*) and SSD drive. Contrary to what I feared when everyone complained about Windows 8 the only real difference I had even before the latest big patch was that "app" start screen. It was very easy to work on the desktop anyway (without installing anything), and all I added in addition to Chrome and Firefox was git (which includes a bash - hurra!!!) and a good console app (ConEmu). Look guys, I only installed a handful of key pieces of software and I can use my Windows 8 without getting used to any "Windows-isms" like Powershell (powerful it may be but I remain a Unix person). I feel ZERO pain using Windows 8 as my desktop, even though I use the console a lot and MongoDB and node.js and vi. The hardware requires that I run Windows 8 (don't tell me "but there's a driver for xyz", that may be but I don't want to beta-test software I rely on every day. I frankly don't care too much about the OS as long as stuff works the way I'm used to. bash, git, vi, a tiny virtual screen manager software for Windows - and I get perfect support for this up-to-date Ultrabook.

So Windows 8 is good enough for me to continue without changing my (Linux) habits, and it has the superior hardware support. Sorry, Ubuntu. Oh, and on the server I installed Debian, for commercial projects I take whatever they have decided on.

I have Ubuntu in a VMware VM on my desktop, but my Ultrabook with only 256GB SSD has no room for two OS installations, which is why I tried the above workarounds in the first place and I've been pleased far beyond my expectations after having read all those horror stories about Win 8. I find myself starting the Ubuntu VM less and less, since everything works so well.

versions (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46781989)

Linux kernel v3.13.0-24.46

That's why I hate you.
ok, you've chosen 3.13, it's ok. But you ship with a 3.13.0... -24.46? what the hell? the vanilla kernel is just at its .9 release...

just...why... all this backporting, maintaining different releases... all this useless work...

Re:versions (1)

OneAhead (1495535) | about 8 months ago | (#46782103)

Looks like someone doesn't understand the process of big distros bugfixing, releasing and supporting stable kernels.

Please fix release notes link in summary (4, Informative)

OneAhead (1495535) | about 8 months ago | (#46782047)

As of writing, the "release notes" link in the summary points to the upgrade instructions on nixCraft, whereas it presumably should have pointed to this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Trusty... [ubuntu.com]
Please fix!

But... (0)

DiamondGeezer (872237) | about 8 months ago | (#46782189)

...does it run Linux? Can you build a Beowulf cluster using this?

Yes of course it does.

The whole Linux/Windows divide reminds me of the Reformation, with the Protestant denominations in endless schism on the pretext of maintaining doctrinal purity.