Android Beats iOS As the Top Tablet OS

Unknown Lamer posted about 8 months ago | from the gnu-feeling-left-out dept.

Android 487

sfcrazy writes "Linux is on a roll. After conquering the smartphone space, Android is now dominating the tablet space. According to a new study by Gartner, 'the tablet growth in 2013 was fueled by the low-end smaller screen tablet market, and first time buyers; this led Android to become the No. 1 tablet operating system (OS), with 62 percent of the market.'" Also, everyone is buying tablets.(~200 million sold in 2013 vs ~115 million in 2012). Microsoft still only has 2% of the tablet market.

The year of the Linux Tablet (5, Funny)

Niterios (2700835) | about 8 months ago | (#46392835)

It is finally here! Now we just need it to be an open platform.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (4, Informative)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46392861)

Sailfish OS based on Meego will soon be installable on Android tablets and phones. Bingo.

Sailfish (0)

Can someone explain the appeal of Sailfish? To me it seems like a gesture heavy take on android that doesn't seem especially interesting for the amount of attention it's getting.

ANDROID != LINUX (4, Insightful)

Jeremiah Cornelius (137) | about 8 months ago | (#46392931)

Don't believe.

There is NO Posix userspace on Android.
Posix kernel land is locked/limited.

Why does it take 16 GB RAM to compile the Android tarball? That's some BEAUTIFUL community inclusion!

Re:ANDROID != LINUX (0)

Thats called power

Wah! (0)

wah! Ram is cheap.

Build your own tarball and add your own userspace to it.

Re:ANDROID != LINUX (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393217)

Interesting.... I wonder if that is true for all Android devices or some Androids. I wonder why a company would say that their OS can be installed on Android devices when it can't???
Curious.
I thought there were some other Open Source OS options for Android devices I had read about. Is this not the case?

only if you're a lazy git (4, Informative)

rubycodez (864176) | about 8 months ago | (#46393291)

you can add Debian and its ports to Android

quit your whining, you pansy

Re:ANDROID != LINUX (1, Informative)

Freshly Exhumed (105597) | about 8 months ago | (#46393335)

1. install or use a terminal emulator or console app
2. at the prompt type "uname -a"
3. observe Linux kernel information

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

koan (80826) | about 8 months ago | (#46393077)

But their URL looks like "selfish ho's", might be cool, looks cooler than the Ubuntu variant.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393187)

Selfish Ho's could be cool or they could be too narcissistic even while looking cool.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (0)

Sailfish's UI is proprietary. AOSP is open.

Niterios is trolling, attempting to cultivate the belief that Android is not a genuinely open-source OS.

Ask yourself which companies stand to benefit from this belief. Follow the money trail.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393223)

So what you are saying is Niterios is a plant perhaps?

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (0)

Android is open source? Cool where can I get the source to the latest development version?

Re: The year of the Linux Tablet (0)

AOSP

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (0, Troll)

Jeremiah Cornelius (137) | about 8 months ago | (#46392921)

Shitty 100 USD Android tablets that have crap spyware apps, completely unsuitable for any of the cool stuff you can do for music production or video on the premiere tablet platform?

No thank you.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (3, Insightful)

Oliver Wendell Jones (158103) | about 8 months ago | (#46392953)

"premiere tablet platform"?

Biased much?

Re: The year of the Linux Tablet (0)

Has Android got low latency audio support yet?

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (0)

huh?

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1, Funny)

Stormwatch (703920) | about 8 months ago | (#46393079)

What kind of moron would do music production or video on a tablet?

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (4, Informative)

vux984 (928602) | about 8 months ago | (#46393201)

Well, from way back this morning there is this guy:

http://features.slashdot.org/s... [slashdot.org]

-----IPADS. So many possibilities, sooooo cheap.

I would encourage a new composer on a budget to start with an iPad, and challenge them to fill it up with software using the $5,000-$50,000 they just saved. Go nuts--you'll never exhaust the budget!! I've created sounds that have suited my clients needs very well, using the following iPad apps...

One of the most insightful and interesting ask slashdots I've read.

Or right, he said -composer-, not -producer-. So your both right... ipads aren't adequate for production... but apparently quite good for composition.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

Runaway1956 (1322357) | about 8 months ago | (#46393225)

That was my thought, exactly. Tablets may be great for on-the-go stuff, but serious computer work? Maybe that post was written from the year 2114, when technology permits you to slip an entire desktop system complete with keyboard and full sized monitor, into a pocket the size of today's tablets. Some kind of molecular compression gadget thingy that will squeeze the stuff all down to a little bitty carry pouch.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

Austerity Empowers (669817) | about 8 months ago | (#46393311)

It's just the bizarre world of numbers. Tablets are in theory cheap enough that every member of the family can have one, compared to one PC (which I can't believe anyone is seriously giving up). Then you have the work PC for every working adult in the family, which is not 1:1 for all teh world: lots of people don't use computers at work ever.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (0)

Trolls of course! You're a 6 digit UID so I shouldn't have to explain this to you, but for our younger readers Jeremiah Cornelius has to be the lowest oldest troll on /. that still posts with his original account. I don't know how he's managed to even keep enough karma to post more than once a year under that account. I'm gonna blame karma whoring alt accounts in a giant circle jerk of insightful mods.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

Tough Love (215404) | about 8 months ago | (#46393245)

What kind of moron would do music production or video on a tablet?

A moron who does not want to lug a laptop around, and knows that a tablet is actualy a computer as opposed to a mere media consumption device?

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

koan (80826) | about 8 months ago | (#46393095)

It's a start, and Apple is on the downhill slide.

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393239)

Just curious.
Which are the important metrics you are using to come to the conclusion Apple is on a downward slide?

Re:The year of the Linux Tablet (4, Informative)

tysonedwards (969693) | about 8 months ago | (#46393257)

From the same article, I wouldn't really call Apple on the downward slide. They have been selling more tablets than ever, and more than Samsung, Asus, Amazon and Lenovo combined. In fact, all 5 have been growing tremendously Year-over-Year. The difference here is that there has been a significant increase in the "Others" category, all of the other manufacturers who on their own would be considered a rounding error in the report. This is more the case of the Bargain Bin models increasing the size of the market larger than the "Big Boys" care to play in. Example: Samsung isn't rushing out to release a $49 tablet to compete with RCA.

Re: The year of the Linux Tablet (1)

Android dominates iOS the same way McDonalds dominates the local diner, and Budweiser dominates domestic beer. UNITS SOLD.

Which says lots about price point and convenience, but nothing about quality.

It is. (4, Informative)

Sable Drakon (831800) | about 8 months ago | (#46392991)

Android IS an open platform. It's entirely up to you if you want to be locked into Google's ecosystem or not. Install Cyanogenmod or another third-party ROM, then look as there's no GApps or Google all over your phone. But remember it's now up to you to sideload a new app store and get the APKs to what non-Google services you use.

It isn't. (2)

dottrap (1897528) | about 8 months ago | (#46393181)

From Wikipedia:
"OHA [Open Handset Alliance] members are contractually forbidden from producing devices that are based off incompatible forks of Android."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O... [wikipedia.org]

This has a chilling effect on hiring manufacturers to build your actual device when most of them are already tied to OHA.

This is a perverse definition of "open".

Re:It isn't. (1)

Sable Drakon (831800) | about 8 months ago | (#46393219)

This still doesn't prevent the individual user from re-flashing their phone to a version deviod of Google's software. Remember that custom ROMs by default are legally prohibited from including GApps by Google. It still means that if an end-user wanted to take it upon themselves, they can do it. It's just a whole lot more convienient to use GApps.

So what? (1, Insightful)

So what, it took Apple to even do it right the first time. After all those Palm devices and Windows CE devices were just a bunch of low-battery-life devices that forgot their memory when they ran out of power.

Look OSS and Android guys, it doesn't matter how many how many of the devices are being shipped if all the money is being made on the more developer-friendly iOS ecosystem. If you want people to develop for Android, update Android consistently so that all devices have the same features, and quit letting vaporware and shovelware dominate the marketplace.

Re:So what? (2)

MightyYar (622222) | about 8 months ago | (#46392923)

I don't think it is the quality of the apps that drives people not to purchase the Android version - I think it is the nature of the buyer. Most of these Android tablets are low-end... people saving perhaps $50. Cost conscious people are not going to be the best customers for an app store. Yes, I know there are high-end Android devices. I'd wager that people who buy those end up making just as many app purchases as iPad buyers. I'd also wager that the number of high-end Android devices sold is not a terribly significant part of the market, yet probably accounts for all of the profit.

Re:So what? (2)

Nyder (754090) | about 8 months ago | (#46393119)

I recently bought myself my first tablet. Cheap, $150 10.1" screen, 1200x800 resolution. Works great. I didn't buy it for gaming, though I do some gaming on it, I didn't buy it for watching videos, though I probably will sometimes. I bought it for viewing comic books. Which is does very decently.

Will I buy apps? A few, I plan on purchasing, like ComicRack, and maybe an emulator or 2.

This will hold me over till they start making 12"+ tablets with higher resolutions. (yes, I know you can get 1080p tablets at 9" but seriously, I want more screen, not higher resolution in a smaller space.)

Re:So what? (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393271)

I too think there is a market for larger tablets. Smaller and smaller no matter how great the resolution leaves my old eyes somewhat tired.
On the flip side, I could use a phone that is actually smaller than the platters they keep putting out.
I want the phone to be a phonesure it needs a few apps, but that is just to get by while on the move when I am not near some bigger screen.

The way it seems now.. phones are getting bigger, tablets smaller. Pretty soon there will just be one big phone-tablet to tote around.
hahahaha

Re:So what? (0)

koan (80826) | about 8 months ago | (#46393121)

I think people just randomly down load shits apps because they are 'free", and get what they deserve.

I'm sure Android encouraged it to "grow their app market" and now that they have they should take a iron fist to it and clean that shit up.

Apple was good about that, but at the same time overly authoritarian in telling you what you could and couldn't use, and removing stuff they didn't like.

All the apps I use on Android are professionally developed and look/work great.
But then I'm past that point in my life where I download willy nilly.

Re:So what? (1)

nurb432 (527695) | about 8 months ago | (#46392949)

Umm my t/x had great battery life. It didn't lose its mind if the battery would die. its screen was also larger..

Re:So what? (0)

As a developer for mobile devices, I more or less agree with your last statement that this will not attract developers. It has zero value to me in my decision-making. However, I don't think that's the intent of this post. It's probably meant as both plainly informational, and to provoke the sports-fan-like pointless flaming about the different OSes that you've already participated in.

Sales figures (1)

Trogre (513942) | about 8 months ago | (#46392873)

Where do they get their sales figures from? Do they include sites like DX, madeinchina et al?

If not, then I'm pretty confident Android has been outselling iOS for several years now.

Re:Sales figures (3, Informative)

Rosyna (80334) | about 8 months ago | (#46393031)

No idea how they make up sales numbers.

Apple's own sales numbers say they sold 74 million iPads in 2014. Not sure how gartner lost 4 million.

Also, Apple's numbers are reported as sales to users, everyone else uses sales to channel (the channel can return unsold stock to the company in the following quarter but can still claim it sold that many)

Why do we listen to Gartner? (3, Informative)

dottrap (1897528) | about 8 months ago | (#46393137)

Gartner has a terrible track record. If you see any article citing Gartner statistics or predictions, you are best served by ignoring and moving along.

http://www.zdnet.com/why-does-... [zdnet.com]
http://seekingalpha.com/instab... [seekingalpha.com]

Re:Sales figures (2, Interesting)

Old97 (1341297) | about 8 months ago | (#46393253)

And a couple of other suspicious things here. 1) Shipped doesn't mean sold as you say, but it can include give aways like when you buy a Samsung TV and get one of their pads for free. Yeah, if you gave me a Samsung tablet I'd take it. Then I'd give it to a poor relative or kid down the street. Not worth anything to me. Also, the "Other" category out ships all the other Android OEMs including the top 3 Android OEM's combined. Sorry, but its pretty arbitrary to put a crappy knock off for the 3rd world market with a state of the art iPad or equivalent. Finally, Gartner predicted that the iPhone would be a flop in 2007 and again in 2008. Their fantasies about MS products in the mobile market are pretty imaginative too.

sales != use (1)

goombah99 (560566) | about 8 months ago | (#46393123)

I would pretty much take it for granted that close to all of those low cost crap tablets are in desk drawers by now. I myslef bought chromebook at an irresistable price to try it. Yes it stinks.

Trollbait article (1)

swb (14022) | about 8 months ago | (#46392879)

Given that Android licensing costs are near zero and there aren't any other viable choices, why is Android a surprise at all? As for the sales volume, the low end of the market is big numbers. You can make Mercedes profit if you sell VW volume.

I'm curious what the sales numbers are for Surface Pros. I'm in the market for a new laptop and the Surface Pro is appealing as a sort of replacement. My existing dual-core 8 GB Dell with a 500 GB SSD is kind of a tank but with the SSD it's still usable for networking tasks. But for a lot of what I do, the Surface Pro would be fine and I could drag out the laptop if I really needed it.

My only fear is that I would accessorize it to death -- BT mouse, ethernet dongle, a bunch of USB sticks, and be basically back to lugging around the laptop.

Re:Trollbait article (4, Interesting)

linuxci (3530) | about 8 months ago | (#46392975)

I'd avoid any of these compromise tablets like the surface. I've used them (at work) an they really combine all the disadvantages of a tablet with the disadvantages of a laptop, they're the worst of both worlds.

For example, you can't use the keyboard cover of the surface unless it's on a flat surface. Personally I often use my laptop in bed, which needs a solid keyboard.

The surface has a mix of Metro and desktop UI, I ended up getting frustrated when trying to manipulate the desktop UI I ended up plugging in a mouse.

Some of the control panel items are in Metro, others are Windows Classic.

Microsoft have not shown a good history in updating their consumer devices, for example most Windows Phone 7 devices could not be updated to WP 8.

Re:Trollbait article (0)

Windows Phone 7 devices were however upgraded to 7.5, which included a lot of the 8 features back-merged.

The reason why they could not be upgraded was due to the hardware requirements and substantial changes to the OS ... it's essentially the same argument as why Apple doesn't want you running iOS7 on the iPhone 3.

Re:Trollbait article (1)

Barlo_Mung_42 (411228) | about 8 months ago | (#46393247)

How do you type on an ipad in bed?

Re:Trollbait article (1)

symbolset (646467) | about 8 months ago | (#46393007)

If Surface Pro was selling in significant numbers do you think the Seahawks defense could stand between Steve Ballmer and the TV cameras? I don't.

Re:Trollbait article (0)

A football reference on Slashdot is like having a discussion about what girl parts really are and actually look like and that there is a world that is above ground that has light and other people, many of whom have the aforementioned girly parts. In other words, useless, nonrelevent, and an utter waste of time exactly like sports really are.

Re:Trollbait article (1)

jkonrath (72701) | about 8 months ago | (#46393087)

> You can make Mercedes profit if you sell VW volume.

Too bad VW doesn't make Mercedes profit selling VW volume, or this would be a great analogy.

Re:Trollbait article (1)

mjwx (966435) | about 8 months ago | (#46393127)

Interesting that you used the VW analogy. It's kind of fitting as VW is owned by VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) and they also own Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Skoda in their entirety as well as 49% of Porsche.

Much like Android, VAG services the entire market from high volume sales of VW and Skoda to mid range Audi's to high end Lamborghini supercars. It's easy for VAG to outsell someone like TVR who only offers one or two products. With Android you can find the tablet you want from a budget minded Skota Octavia to a full blown Lamborghini Gallardo and option them to your liking and much like the TVR Segaris, Apple's tablets are really limited in purpose and missing a lot of key features.

Re:Trollbait article (3, Informative)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393313)

Our iPad gets probably 30 hours use a week by all of our family. It seems to be useful to each member of the family for different purposes.
Perhaps it is missing key features, but I don't really think we notice because we each have our own way of using it.
And when we need real computing power we just jump on the desktop machine.

We haven't really regretted having an iPad for any reason.

Slightly biased... (1)

Enry (630) | about 8 months ago | (#46392883)

But I have both an iPad and a Nexus 7, both new as of about 6 months ago. The Nexus is getting a lot more use by me on a day-to-day basis because it's the form factor of a kindle, fits in my jacket pocket and is easy to hold, read, and play games on.

The iPad is mostly collecting dust unless I want to watch Netflix, TiVo, or Amazon Prime videos on it. It's a much larger screen but it makes it a bit unwieldy to easily hold. My wife has the air. I think it's still a bit too wide to easily carry with you, but she likes it.

As for the Surface tablets, I finally got a good chance to look at them last week. They're much bulkier than I was expecting.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

Enry (630) | about 8 months ago | (#46392907)

Oh, and I'm biased because I've been using Android since the OG Droid, on my 4th Android phone now.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46392997)

Should let your wife have your other iPad.
You can mount it in the kitchen for you and your wife to use for recipes and pandora.
Old iPad are perfect for mounting in Kitchens.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

Enry (630) | about 8 months ago | (#46393051)

What do you think my 2012 Nexus is going to be doing?

Re:Slightly biased... (-1, Troll)

fsck-beta (3539217) | about 8 months ago | (#46393227)

Ah Android users, where 2 years old means 'old'.

Re:Slightly biased... (0)

When I got my Nexus 7 my Ipad became irrelevant. I gave it to the kids, the nexus is far more useful, easier to carry around, and does what I want it to do, rather than what Apples wants it to do. The ipad is a nice toy, but thats about it.

Re:Slightly biased... (2, Informative)

brantondaveperson (1023687) | about 8 months ago | (#46393035)

... because it's the form factor of a kindle

I'm wondering, if you wanted a 7" tablet, why you didn't buy an iPad mini instead? Seems a bit unfair to criticise the iPad on size, when the mini is available and is pretty much the same size as a Nexus 7. Not to mention a bit cheaper than the full size iPad.

As a counter-datapoint, I took a couple of Nexus 7's home during the Christmas holidays. And the kids didn't like them at all, and instead fought over the one iPad. Now, this might just be because kids are dumb and like the bigger thing just because it's bigger, and also I'm beginning to suspect that they also quite like fighting just for the hell of it. But the Nexus' didn't charge their batteries while in use and plugged in, whereas the iPad did. Pretty annoying.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

Enry (630) | about 8 months ago | (#46393083)

I need to think more before posting. My wife has the iPad mini (not the air, though I understand they have the same size). Anyway, the mini is too wide to easily hold in one hand for reading in bed/bus/car/anywhere. The Nexus is about the largest I'd want to go for something I'm going to be using for hours at a time.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

koan (80826) | about 8 months ago | (#46393157)

iPad mini sucks.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393341)

For what are you using it?
Sucks in what way?
Sucks is a fairly wide open non-specific descriptor.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

linuxci (3530) | about 8 months ago | (#46393045)

The Nexus 7 is a great tablet, but if you're talking about a full size iPad you should compare to the Nexus 10.

In the UK there's also the Tesco Hudl which is another Android tablet which has managed to combine cheap with reasonably capable. It's close enough to stock Android (it has a few Tesco customisations) that I was pleasantly surprised by it and are happy recommending it to those who would even consider the Nexus 7 too expensive. I prefer it to the Kindle Fire devices.

You're right about the bulkiness of the Surface. The one we have in the office looks like a floor tile when the keyboard cover is closed.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

koan (80826) | about 8 months ago | (#46393151)

Nexus 7 fits in my back pocket, it's quick and has everything I need.

My experience with the iPad was a lot less pleasant, as you stated size is a factor, but it's battery ran down quicker as well.
The Nexus seems to run forever.

Re:Slightly biased... (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393357)

Awesome I love battery life.
Can't wait to try a Nexus 7. Do you know if the Nexus 10 have long battery life as well?

Kind of Surprised at only 62% (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46392899)

Seems like with tablets quickly approaching the $40 range they are almost a disposable commodity. I would expect Android tablets will quickly get to over 90% of the market in short order since everyone will be able to have one of these powerful little computing devices.

Re:Kind of Surprised at only 62% (1)

nurb432 (527695) | about 8 months ago | (#46392981)

Sort of.

Quality tablets are not approaching that range. But i do agree that sub 50 dollar tablets are disposable ( and also a dismal experience which can harm the perception of android in general )

Re:Kind of Surprised at only 62% (1)

Wild_dog! (98536) | about 8 months ago | (#46393023)

To a family in the slums of Brasil or some other places outside the US or Europe these are powerful devices.
$40 bucks gives people a way to finally have some computing power and tap into the worldwide info grid.

Apple outsold next four tablet makers combined (0)

In 2013:

And yet apple sells more tablets than anybody (5, Interesting)

noh8rz10 (2716597) | about 8 months ago | (#46392937)

Who is making all these tablets? Here's the rough breakdown of 2013 unit volume from Gartner [9to5mac.com] for worldwide:
* Apple 36%
* Samsung 19%
* ASUS 6%
* Amazon 5%
* Lenovo 3%
* All others 31%

the first notable thing is that Apple sells more than Samsung, Asus, Amazon, and Lenovo combined. The second notable thing, who is the "all others"? All sort of white-label chinese makers? Who is buying these? And can you say that these are truly Android tablets if they have some sort of modified android 2.3?

Here are the categories that I see in this market:

* iOS
* "Premium" Android. The Galaxy Tabs, the Nexus tablets, etc. Sold in US, EU, etc. The ones we are familiar with
* Kindle
* MS Surface
* white label tablets. Presumably built and sold in China, elsewhere.

We need to recognize that premium android might as well be a different OS than white label android. The apps will be different, the languages will be different, the monetization will be different, the fragmentation will be different. For all intensive purposes premium android is as removed from white label android as it is from kindle.

Re:And yet apple sells more tablets than anybody (3, Interesting)

SeaFox (739806) | about 8 months ago | (#46393029)

Brands like Haier, Eviant, etc Yes. White label Chinese makers for the most part.

The people buying them a schmucks who still watch QVC/HSN and think they're getting a good deal when they could do better, with the same convenience, buy turning on their computer and shopping online.

They should adjust those numbers for the devices that are returned to the manufacture for hardware issues, because I can tell you from professional experience these "other" tablets are junk.

White label stuff is usually vanilla (1)

Most of the "white label" tablets floating around are running uncustomized Android 4.0+. Customizing software costs money, so they just put vanillia Android on most of them.

Re:White label stuff is usually vanilla (0)

Yup, usually 4.0, 4.1 or 4.4
4.2 and 4.3 are a bit too heavy.

Re:White label stuff is usually vanilla (0)

Why not put it into software? They sure as hell don't put it into the hardware. Once you get past the top three selling Android tablet brands you're pretty much in a quagmire of garbage tablets that aren't worth what Amazon charges to ship them.

While everyone is rejoicing that Android is outselling iOS and MS just remember that every one of these cheap shit tablets is turning someone against Android.

Re:And yet apple sells more tablets than anybody (4, Informative)

Whiney Mac Fanboy (963289) | about 8 months ago | (#46393133)

* white label tablets. Presumably built and sold in China, elsewhere.

White label tablets are sold in China, but also everywhere else. Rebranded as Aldi / Staples / Wal-Mart or what have you.

What are you talking about? I have a white-box Chinese Android tablet. It came with Android 4.2, gmail, Play store, google maps, etc. All of the no-name (Aldi Branded / Walmart / etc) tablets I've seen are the same.

Totally incorrect. The cheaper manufacturers actually provide a better android experience as they're using 'pure' android rather than putting shitty touch-wiz / sense style overlays & attempting to sign you up for a million stupid Samsung / etc services.

Oh - and you say "for all intents and purposes". Think about it. Intensive purposes makes no sense in the context this phrase is typically used in.

Re:And yet apple sells more tablets than anybody (0)

Seconded. Every point in the OPs post was bullshit. If he/she thinks intensive purposes in computing have anything to do with tablets maybe he/she should join a different forum.

Re:And yet apple sells more tablets than anybody (0)

So yes, basically Apple isn't the majority, but still the overwhelming leader. I'd really like to see the breakdown of profit by manufacturer. I'd wager that even though Apple only has 36% of the devices, they have 80% of the profit.

Re:And yet apple sells more tablets than anybody (2)

seyyah (986027) | about 8 months ago | (#46393279)

A link for you: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki... [wiktionary.org]

Re:And yet apple sells more tablets than anybody (1)

Tough Love (215404) | about 8 months ago | (#46393281)

Apple sells more than Samsung, Asus, Amazon, and Lenovo combined.

A rational person would regard the latter as a "healthy, diverse market".

Re:And yet apple sells more tablets than anybody (2)

melchoir55 (218842) | about 8 months ago | (#46393365)

What on earth is "premium android"? Do you mean "custom ROM"? Anyone can install a custom ROM on just about any android device. There is no appreciable software difference between a knockoff tablet maker and samsung. If anything, knockoff tablets tend to run better android mods than samsung devices. Of course this hardly matters since anyone can customize the OS however they like, or install an entirely different flavor of android.

The main difference is in the raw power of the hardware. I realize the power of the hardware isn't something apple people think about... but it is one side of two coins. Software and Hardware make a tablet. Every android user has access to the same software. Better hardware costs more money. Every apple user has access to the same software, and the same hardware.

You're complaining that Android is cheating by inflating its numbers. You are blind to the point that this is one of the very strengths of android. It is an open platform which anyone can employ. As such, a lot of people tend to employ it. To say Apple has less market share than android is surely true. Further, it is not a trivial thing to say. Apple once dominated the tablet and smartphone market when compared to Android. Now they are falling behind. The reason they are falling behind is the same reason they fell behind in the 90s. They sell closed, proprietary tech. This philosophy has been largely abandoned by the market in the 2000s because it has a lot of disadvantages to the consumer, which means the consumer eventually stops buying it.

Apple is going to lose relevance in the USA over the next 5 years and gain relevance oversees (though not at an equal rate). I'm betting that apple is going to start seeing a drop in revenue 5 years from now after revenue growth slowly peters out. They could avoid it, but they won't. Their philosophy doesn't allow it. When I say I'm betting this will happen, I mean it in the strongest possible sense.

10 years from now apple will be right back where it was in 1995. Clueless executives, inferior and overpriced product, and a market no longer willing to buy it because it is chic.

Well DUH (2)

nurb432 (527695) | about 8 months ago | (#46392941)

There is one manufacturer of iOS tablets, there are butt loads of android tablet makers.

That fact alone tips the balance. And like the story says, lots of them are *cheap*, in a market where apple would never tread.

Number of iPad models? (1)

unimacs (597299) | about 8 months ago | (#46392945)

Is Apple selling two or three?

Anyway, Apple has 36% of the market while selling only a few models.

I think they'll survive for awhile.

I guess this means... (0)

...that it's time for another law suit.

Questionable Numbers (5, Informative)

whisper_jeff (680366) | about 8 months ago | (#46392971)

Sure, if you go with Gartner's numbers which undercut Apple's reported sales figures (you know, numbers that undergo SEC scrutiny for accuracy) by almost 4 million units while also adding in Android "white box" units that include TV dongles which track as tablets despite being not-at-all tablets while also clouding the results by reporting Apple's sales-to-end-users numbers with Android's shipped-into-channel numbers. So, yeah, if you cut Apple's numbers and artificially inflate Android's numbers, yes, Android is beating iOS in the tablet space.

And now you may mod me troll while claiming I'm just an Apple fanboy for speaking the truth.

I have such fond memories of when this site wasn't such a blatant tool of spin doctors for certain industry interests...

Re:Questionable Numbers (3, Insightful)

Daniel Dvorkin (106857) | about 8 months ago | (#46393161)

Meh. Slashdot stories have long reported Gartner's dodgy numbers at face value, even though pretty much every single such story contains multiple comments pointing out how absurd those numbers are.

Re:Questionable Numbers (0)

Umm, no. The SEC doesn't scrutinize the numbers in filings for accuracy, that would be impossible. They enforce penalties if the information in the filings is wrong.

I love my Android tablet (1)

HangingChad (677530) | about 8 months ago | (#46392989)

I love my Android tablet, it does 90 percent of what I used to need a laptop to do. The only minor niggle is no Flash support. I get why Google doesn't want to support it but so many sites still use it.

That and Chromecast is great for streaming Netflix content on TV.

Re:I love my Android tablet (3, Interesting)

brantondaveperson (1023687) | about 8 months ago | (#46393069)

On both iOS and Android you can use something called Puffin browser [puffinbrowser.com] . Five minutes using that thing, and you realise why no mobile OS has any interest in supporting Flash. But if you really need Flash, it's there.

Re:I love my Android tablet (4, Informative)

linuxci (3530) | about 8 months ago | (#46393091)

It's Adobe that dropped support for Flash on Android.

In the end it's a good thing. It's a massive battery drain and if both iOS and Android don't support it then there"s less use of it for needless purposes.

Re:I love my Android tablet (0)

I have no problem with Flash on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 in Dolphin.

Google is your friend...

Good Info (-1, Offtopic)

mrebecca757 (3560977) | about 8 months ago | (#46393003)

Henry . if you, thought Phyllis `s article is neat, I just received BMW since I been bringin in $5247 this-past/five weeks and more than 10k last-munth . this is actually my favourite-work Ive ever done . I actually started 5 months ago and almost immediately began to bring home over $77... per-hr . over at this website >>>>>>>> www.bay91.CM

iOS is still better (0)

Is that number shipped or sold? Either way though Android is on so much junk, its probably not being used anymore. iOS has the most web traffic and was rated number 1 at mobile world congress this year.

Re:iOS is still better (1)

Tough Love (215404) | about 8 months ago | (#46393337)

It's fun to watch those lines of defense fall one by one, isn't it?

Gartner can't add (5, Informative)

david.emery (127135) | about 8 months ago | (#46393195)

From http://appleinsider.com/articl... [appleinsider.com]
"The most glaring inconsistency is a disconnect between Gartner's 70.4 million iPad sales and Apple's self-reported 74 million unit sales for 2013. From the first quarter — Apple's second fiscal quarter — to the fourth, the company reported iPad sales of 19.5 million, 14.6 million, 14.1 million and 26 million, respectively. The total: 74.2 million iPads sold during 2013. "

Note these numbers are reported by Apple on SEC filings, not on press releases.

thats funny (0)

Ive been using computers for 27+ years and have never owned apple anything until my employer got me an iphone5s. Im never using android ever again. It is the biggest piece of shit OS I have ever used in a modern device.

Re:thats funny (1)

rubycodez (864176) | about 8 months ago | (#46393305)

I have a employer provided iPhone, needed apps costing $$ to be useful. my android phone I've bulked up with quality freeware, it does more.

Measuring marketshare. (1)

140Mandak262Jamuna (970587) | about 8 months ago | (#46393317)

How do you measure market share? By units sold? Can one sale of a cheap 6 inch tablet gets the same weightage as a high end 11 inch tablet? Or by percentage of sales volume in dollars? Or share of profits made?

Or by number of eye-ball-minutes sold to advertizers?

Selling? (0)

How many are returned? How many are used? How many are sitting around collecting dust?