Roku Finally Adds YouTube To Its Iconic Media Player

Unknown Lamer posted about a year ago | from the apt-get-install-xbmc dept.

Media 80

DeviceGuru writes "Roku's popular Linux-based media players have long been criticized for their glaring omission of YouTube video support. As of Dec. 17, that is no longer the case, provided you have the high-end Roku 3 player and live in the U.S., Canada, Ireland, or the U.K. Google's YouTube channel is available immediately for the Roku 3 in resolutions up to 1080p, and will be supported on additional models (though probably just Roku 2) next year, according the company. Previously, the only way to run YouTube over a Roku box was to use the third-party, subscription based PlayOn service, which requires a connected PC or Mac running the PlayOn app. The YouTube update also adds a Send to TV feature, letting you send videos to the Roku for display on the TV with a single click."

What I would prefer... (2)

rikkards (98006) | about a year ago | (#45725649)

is static IP configuration and ability to play more media types from USB than what it does. I use DNS Redirect to get access to US Netflix and Hulu and had to jump hurdles to get the Roku 3 to work. Also I was hoping for something I could take with me in luggage when I travel so I could watch stuff in a hotel room on business. Last time I brought 4 different files and none of them worked. That was my fault for not confirming but would be nice.

Re:What I would prefer... (3, Insightful)

Aqualung812 (959532) | about a year ago | (#45725841)

Have you considered using DHCP reservations?

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45725877)

I've been using a static IP on my Roku for the past three years. Try opening the 20 page manual, or even just hunting through the menu items (hint, it's in setup->network).

Considering your depth and breadth of knowledge of the Roku product line, I doubt reading the next sentences will offer insight. However, there is room for improvement, you could have discredited yourself faster by saying, "I just wish it could play Netflix".

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726049)

(Different AC in Europe)

I have a Roku 3, read the manual and various sites online, and there's no UI for setting static IP addresses or DNS info. There's no option in the Setup->Network section for doing such things. It's possible that this option only existed for earlier versions of the Roku.

In my case, I configured my router to assign a static IP address to the Roku and configured dnsmasq on the router to supply the IP addresses to the DNS nameservers of a DNS-redirection service similar to Unblock US in response to queries going to Netflix and Pandora -- this way I use my normal nameservers for regular network use and the redirection service only for geographically-restricted services. Works quite well.

Re:What I would prefer... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726535)

(Different AC in Europe)

My apologies, and now the allure of buying that shiny new Roku 3 is a bit diminished. I hope you can make the best of our situation. As you've probably surmised, I have a Roku 2.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

rikkards (98006) | about a year ago | (#45729779)

Apologizing to the wrong person but apology accepted

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

rikkards (98006) | about a year ago | (#45726115)

Hint: no its not IOW citiation please as in this isn't my first rodeo and the 20 page manual is crap.
Which page are you talking about (by the way I am not using wireless) and everything I have seen online states it doesn't support Static. In the Setup Network all you get to choose is if it is Wired or Wireless and nothing available menu wise other than the wireless stuff for setting SSID, etc.

What I did to work around was setup my bind DNS to provide a different DNS forwarder for anything for only netflix and Hulu than what I have for everything else. The advantage of this is that it is more secure than just having it redirect blindly which all of the DNS Redirects. Maybe a little paranoid but it works.

PS you are a douche

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

LordNimon (85072) | about a year ago | (#45725883)

Try the WD TV Live. I have one, and it's awesome. Plays MKV files ripped straight from a Blu-Ray.

As for Netflix, there appears to be some kind of DNS problem with some devices. I had to set my router to 8.8.8.8 to get my TV to work. Setting the DNS on the TV to 8.8.8.8 was not good enough. I suspect it's a conspiracy between Samsung and Google.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

gregthebunny (1502041) | about a year ago | (#45725947)

I really like my WD TV Live. It plays a lot of formats and has a simple but usable interface. It definitely passed the "wife test" for ease-of-use. But it has one glaring omission: no Amazon Prime streaming (see: "Online Services [wdc.com] "). They just released a 2.0 firmware update with a bunch of new "supports [service]" notes, but Amazon is not one of them. Western Digital, I am disappoint.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

rikkards (98006) | about a year ago | (#45728055)

I originally looked at WDTV Live when I got tired of the whirring fan on my XBMC HTPC. I hated it as I found it was too many clicks to get to my video shares. At that point I went with a Pi based instead However since then they have added shortcuts. The reason I picked the Roku was we needed something that played netflix since XBMC on Linux won't do it. We also picked Roku as there were some channels on it that other settop boxes didnt have. I would probably have gotten the Live otherwise.

Re:What I would prefer... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45728441)

What? It takes me ONE click to get to my shares. That's too much for you?

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

badboy_tw2002 (524611) | about a year ago | (#45730305)

Another vote for WDLive. I have a lot of DVD ISO rips and it plays them all beautifully.

Re:What I would prefer... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45733107)

How do you make DVD ISO rips? I have tried several different methods, but only about 1 in 5 works.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

SCHecklerX (229973) | about a year ago | (#45726137)

Another vote for the wdtv live (I have a few plus models). It plays everything you throw at it, and can use network mounts or a streaming server. You can even use an alternate firmware to host a web server, torrent client, NFS mounts, etc. Not sure if it is still being maintained, and for my use, the stock firmware works great.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

krept (697623) | about a year ago | (#45726309)

I like mine too. The only actual complaint I have is that you can't navigate through music menus by Artist > Album > Songs. Only either Artist > Songs, or Album > Songs. The UI could be a little less sluggish but for what I paid I'm pleased.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

SCHecklerX (229973) | about a year ago | (#45726411)

I use a Roku (ha!) soundbridge for my music :-) But I only really use it to stream. For my own collection, I just use my phone or mp3 player directly.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

bws111 (1216812) | about a year ago | (#45726935)

Where is your music? Is it on a DLNA server? If so, all of the navigation comes from the server, not the client.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

krept (697623) | about a year ago | (#45727101)

2TB USB HDD connected directly to the WDTV.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

P-niiice (1703362) | about a year ago | (#45726391)

Even better, try any of the more powerful Android-based set top boxes running XBMC for something even better. You can take them to straight Linux if you like for even better performance.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

MBGMorden (803437) | about a year ago | (#45725901)

XBMC works great for playing random files. I've actually used it in several versions (original Xbox, Apple TV, Raspberry Pi, and Ouya - running on Apple TV was the best - closely followed by Raspberry Pi).

I don't really mind a lot of these devices that want to connect you to services like Netflix, Hulu, etc, but just being able to point the thing to a USB drive or network share and play plain old downloaded files is a must for me.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

rikkards (98006) | about a year ago | (#45727171)

I mainly use XBMC (my DNS server is on one of them) which consists of a home brew and a Pi. Problem is no access to Netflix unless you are running windows. Not doing that.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

SCHecklerX (229973) | about a year ago | (#45726153)

Check out the wdtvlive plus. It plays pretty much any file format I've thrown at it, and can mount drive shares, or just use a media streaming server. Its internet stuff is ok, but that's not what I use it for.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

RDW (41497) | about a year ago | (#45726429)

Why not a laptop? Won't you have one anyway? (with portable apps on a USB stick if your company locks it down).

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

GTRacer (234395) | about a year ago | (#45727819)

Seconded on the static IP option. Bought a Roku HD* for Black Friday, returned it a week later when I learned no static option exists. And we really did want to give it a go as a first step to cutting cable...

I think it was the HD. Green box, 40 bucks.

Re:What I would prefer... (1)

Zenin (266666) | about a year ago | (#45728489)

Just put a static DHCP lease in your router config, problem solved?

Lots of options for YouTube on older Rokus (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45725653)

Plex and Twonky Beam are both free and allow you to search / steam YouTube, Twonky even has the send-to-tv feature.

Re:Lots of options for YouTube on older Rokus (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726511)

I've been using Twonky for about a year to watch YouTube videos on my Roku. What I've found that works best is initiating the video from my iPad, then quickly killing the TwonkyBeam app once the video starts. This way it fully hands playback off to the Roku as if it I had started it there (TB wants to act as a remote and has issues deciding that it's still connected, which has resulted in the video outright stopping midway).

Re:Lots of options for YouTube on older Rokus (1)

Jason Levine (196982) | about a year ago | (#45727923)

There's also PlayTo [playto.tv] which can send photos/music/videos from an Android or iOS device (phone or tablet) to your Roku box. There's a free version to try it out and a paid version for $4.99.

Re: Lots of options for YouTube on older Rokus (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45733163)

YouTube channel on Plex works just fine....

Links (4, Informative)

Thanshin (1188877) | about a year ago | (#45725659)

Roku 3 [roku.com]

also:
Chromecast [google.com]

AppleTV [apple.com]

Re:Links (3, Informative)

Virtex (2914) | about a year ago | (#45725921)

And for the do-it-yourselfer:

XBMC [xbmc.org]

Re:Links (2)

MetalliQaZ (539913) | about a year ago | (#45725967)

Grab that karma! ;-)

Re:Links (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726197)

I do have to say that the Roku 3's headphone jack on the remote is the best 'private listening' feature I have ever seen on TV.

Obvious limitation being that it only works when watching the Roku, but the remote is the only part of a TV that is designed to be close to you when watching.

I am glad that choosing this Roku over the ones without this feature also means that I get Youtube when I otherwise wouldn't.

Re:Links (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726719)

I love my Roku :) I cancelled my TV Service and save a few bucks each month. I don't think I could go back. I'm so used to on demand, watching scheduled shows is so 1990.

Re:Links (1)

symbolset (646467) | about a year ago | (#45729309)

The problem with this is eventually you become unable to tolerate commercials.

I do it with Plex. (4, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45725833)

You can cue up Youtube videos on MyPlex

I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (1)

Zeorge (1954266) | about a year ago | (#45725853)

I distinctly remember YouTube when I got the first Roku box... Then after an update it disappeared. Glad to see it added on without using PlayOn.

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (1)

The Good Reverend (84440) | about a year ago | (#45726065)

There was (and still is) a private YouTube channel, but Roku stopped it from being added to boxes a few years ago. But if you already had that one, you could keep it (I still have it).

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (2)

andyring (100627) | about a year ago | (#45726297)

So if you like your YouTube you can keep your YouTube?

(Sorry, had to go there)

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (2)

bill_mcgonigle (4333) | about a year ago | (#45726495)

Unless you upgrade. This is actually one of the things that has prevented me from upgrading to a newer Roku box.

Somebody claimed that it was Google that dropped the ban hammer on Roku, it wasn't Roku's desire. Does the new app show ads (supposedly the bone of contention)?

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (1)

The Good Reverend (84440) | about a year ago | (#45726877)

You could actually upgrade, and as long as the old YouTube channel was tied to your account (and you linked your new Roku to your existing account), it would show up on your new box as well. It's on all three of mine.

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (1)

Jason Levine (196982) | about a year ago | (#45726665)

I have that channel. Maybe it's a glitch with the channel or just the fact that I'm using a standard-definition TV and some YouTube videos try to display in HD but I often get two videos side by side on the same screen.

For example, instead of seeing:

VIDEO

I'll see:

VIDEO VIDEO

Of course, since there's only so much screen room, these double videos wind up squished together and are pretty unwatchable. Here's hoping that this YouTube support goes back to past devices and doesn't just stop with their current ones.

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (1)

The Good Reverend (84440) | about a year ago | (#45726849)

That's a known issue with the old YouTube and several other private channels. Company reps on the Roku message boards say they're looking into it.

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726963)

There is still a private YouTube channel. Unfortunately, it now requires the roku device be set to developer mode.

Works beautifully and I've been using it on my Roku2 for quite a while.

Official support? Great! However, it's not adding any new content for those willing to follow 4-5 step instructions.

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (1)

reboot246 (623534) | about a year ago | (#45732067)

You can get youtube using the "What's On" channel, even with a first generation Roku, but ya gotta know somebody who knows somebody who knows the code to input. Works great and no need for developer mode.

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (1)

randomErr (172078) | about a year ago | (#45727283)

You are correct. Version 1 and the original Version 2 had it. But YouTube changed it's ad model. Roku and YouTube/Google couldn't agree on how the ad revenue would be shared.

If I remember correctly the reason that ad revenue issue even came up was because YouTube has switch to MP4 streaming and the Roku players couldn't handle it at the time. So Roku setup a conversion proxy and to pay for it Roku wanted a percentage of each ad.

Re:I think the first Roku had YouTube briefly (1)

Jason Levine (196982) | about a year ago | (#45727949)

Roku can definitely handle MP4 videos now. I put my videos in MP4 format on a USB hard drive and have my Roku box play them back for me. Works beautifully.

You can also access YouTube on Roku via Plex (4, Informative)

mj01nir (153067) | about a year ago | (#45725897)

Goodness sakes, Plex is wonderful.

Slideshow (1)

genka (148122) | about a year ago | (#45725929)

Stupid Roku can't even play JPEG slideshow as a screensaver.

Re:Slideshow (1)

Jason Levine (196982) | about a year ago | (#45728003)

There are channels that can do this. Here are two free ones I found. (NOTE: I've never used them so I can't vouch for how good they are.)

USB Screen Saver

Picasa Web Albums Screensaver

Keyboard? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45725945)

Can you hook up a wireless keyboard to a Roku device?

I have various Bluray players and other non-PC devices that can get on Youtube, but without a keyboard they are almost useless for that purpose. This goes double for devices that can get on the web in general. Typing in anything to the address or search bar with a remote or non-keyboard controller of any type I've tried thus far is genuinely awful.

Re:Keyboard? (1)

The Good Reverend (84440) | about a year ago | (#45726075)

No wireless/bluetooth keyboard, but the Roku phone/tablet app has a keyboard option on the remote.

I like my Roku (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45725993)

Didn't like the first one (WIFI connection) got the model with an ethernet connection and I'm happy .
As long they don't mess with NetFlix and Amazon Prime all is well.
Never could figure out why the WIFI didn't work as well as it should, maybe the 6 inch range from the
access point was just to far away.

Meh (2)

snarfies (115214) | about a year ago | (#45726165)

Call me back when Roku finally adds support for uPNP and/or DLNA.

Re:Meh (1)

Yewbert (708667) | about a year ago | (#45726261)

Agreed. DLNA is what I want; a Roku equipped with that would be pretty much the last piece of media hardware I'd need to buy.

Re:Meh (1)

dj245 (732906) | about a year ago | (#45726941)

I think an android stick with XBMC is probably what you want then. I used Plex extensively until very recently when the foreign subtitles broke. Apparently this is something that can be only fixed by paying them $4 a month for eternity.

Re:Meh (1)

aesiamun (862627) | about a year ago | (#45727487)

Or $80 once...but let's not let reality get in the way.

Re:Meh (1)

SCHecklerX (229973) | about a year ago | (#45726425)

This exists on the wdtvlive. Also, plays pretty much any format you throw at it.

Re:Meh (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726481)

I installed lighttpd on my Rpi to serve my media directories to a Roku channel called Roksbox. Not DLNA but it works

Re:Meh (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726673)

Plex? Simple and it works.

Re:Meh (1)

houghi (78078) | about a year ago | (#45728081)

Call me back when Roku finally adds support for uPNP and/or DLNA.
OK. Please post your phone number.

Thank God, the ONE thing that was missing to make (1)

TWiTfan (2887093) | about a year ago | (#45726545)

I love my Roku 3. AFAIC, there are only two problems with it, the fact that Netflix added that annoying "Post-Play" so-called feature to it's Roku interface recently (with no ability to disable it) and the lack of YouTube.

Now I can watch pron (try doing THAT with your AppleTV), all my favorite online shows, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, Hulu, etc. all on one fast, simple box. And no monthly Xbox Live fees, annoying interfaces (except with Netflix), stuttering with HD content, or slow interface that I've seen on other media players.

Re:Thank God, the ONE thing that was missing to ma (1)

rikkards (98006) | about a year ago | (#45727735)

I HATE the search functionality on Hulu Plus but I didn't renew my supscription after the first three months expired. Now the only thing I use my Roku for is Netflix and PBS since we cut the cord.

Roku vs random Android media box (1)

bazorg (911295) | about a year ago | (#45726653)

OK, so I could buy a Roku device and hope that the functionality they added remains active;
or I can buy an Android-based media box and just get media apps from the different TV channels/netflix/whatever.

I still may get shafted but the general rule is that if it runs on Android, it should run on my box, right? For everything else on the LAN, XBMC runs on Android.

Other than avoiding dodgy power supplies from nameless manufacturers, I don't see why I should get a Roku instead of a nameless Android media box.

Re:Roku vs random Android media box (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726971)

Here is my two cents.

I just bought a Roku 3 (cheap enough on black friday) to get away from apple TV's. I have several and while they work great the jailbreaking to get plex is a pain. They have plex for the iphone but not the appleTV?

Anyhow, after plugging it in and being forced to create an account with Roku including supplying a Credit Card number I am fairly unhappy with them.
Fortunately I recently cancelled a credit card and still had it handy so i used it.

I wonder if ROKU is happy they have a dead credit card on file and wasted my time in the process?

I don't know why Roku feels entitled to my credit card and name/address because i bought their device?

Finally there seems to be no XBMC for ROKU?

I guess i could have done more homework but i am moving towards Plex anyhow and this does seem to work.

PlayOn (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45726909)

Slight correction to the summary: PlayOn is Windows-only, FYI.

PlayON was NOT the only option for Roku users (2)

Danathar (267989) | about a year ago | (#45726921)

"Previously, the only way to run YouTube over a Roku box was to use the third-party, subscription based PlayOn service, which requires a connected PC or Mac running the PlayOn app. "

Incorrect.

Plex could run Youtube with a roku just fine and no subscription needed.

Re:PlayON was NOT the only option for Roku users (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45728383)

Incorrect.

Plex could run Youtube with a roku just fine and no subscription needed.

Also "Twonky" on my android works pretty well and is free.

WTF? (1)

jmcvetta (153563) | about a year ago | (#45727563)

WTF - I've had an official-looking YouTube channel on my first-gen Roku for 3 years. Don't recall doing anything special to get it, either. Is this article total BS; or did newer version of the Roku have it removed??

Re:WTF? (1)

Jason Levine (196982) | about a year ago | (#45727793)

I have that channel too. That was a private channel that someone else programmed, not an official channel. Roku removed access to it for new users but those of us who already had the channel kept it on our boxes. This is about an official YouTube channel coming to Roku.

Re:WTF? (1)

Control-Z (321144) | about a year ago | (#45728077)

Yeah I have it too on my old Roku. I had forgot how it got on there, but apparently it was a private channel I added years ago and although the private channel is no longer available for some reason it still works, I use it all the time.

I'm more likely to upgrade now that they finally support YouTube again. Hope the interface is fast and simple.

Re:WTF? (1)

jmcvetta (153563) | about a year ago | (#45728175)

I love Roku's hardware and simple UI; but I hate being inside their walled garden.

Re:WTF? (1)

neminem (561346) | about a year ago | (#45730159)

Wait, seriously?! I had an unofficial Youtube app for a while, and the one I had, when Roku disabled it, it stopped working. :(

I hate you.

Re:WTF? (1)

Jason Levine (196982) | about a year ago | (#45730621)

Don't hate me too much. The YouTube video channel will work perfectly for some videos and for others will show the video twice, side-by-side, squished onto the screen (sort of like those pictures where you cross your eyes and a 3D image pops out... only without the 3D image). So even though I have the channel, it's all but useless. When I want to watch YouTube via my Roku, I usually just use PlayTo.tv or another app to stream the video from a tablet or my phone to the Roku box.

Plex ap on Roku (1)

DeTech (2589785) | about a year ago | (#45727771)

The Plex ap on roku has supported Youtube forever.

Twonky (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45728343)

"Previously, the only way to run YouTube over a Roku box was to use the third-party, subscription based PlayOn service, which requires a connected PC or Mac running the PlayOn app." - Not true, apps like "Twonky" allow you to "beam" YouTube to your Roku for free.

Re:Twonky (1)

neminem (561346) | about a year ago | (#45730017)

Yeah, except it's a huge pain, and always freaking breaks. Also, that is still technically a third-party service which requires an app (though not a PC or Mac app, and it was free. Though I thought PlayOn had a free version too?)

Anyway, this is great news.

What about 1080P MKV support? when is that coming? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45729471)

An no, I don't mean "transcoded on the fly through Flex."

Re:What about 1080P MKV support? when is that comi (1)

thedman (568541) | about a year ago | (#45730051)

Waiting for this as well.